Barbour Stockwell, Inc Drive Systems
The ability of Barbour Stockwell, Inc's drive systems to provide ultra-high rotational speeds with precise speed control is the company's key advantage in powering spin tests or driving the components in other test rigs. Whether an air turbine or electric motor drive, tests are conducted under the precise control of our TC3 controller with the test programming convenience provided by our SPIN3 software.
The air turbine system is generally a less costly investment than the electric motor; particularly if an air system already exists. However, the electric drive will be more economical to operate since there are fewer energy conversions required in driving and the energy stored in the rotor at speed can be returned to the mains when braking. Nonetheless, each system has its place depending on the application requirements and economics.
Air (and Steam) Turbines
In addition to the Tangential Turbines historically supplied for spin testing, BSi has developed a line of Radial Inflow Turbines for meeting the demands of applications requiring very high power at very high speeds.
- EXTRAORDINARILY ROBUST - WELL SUITED TO THE RIGORS OF SPIN TESTING
- CAN BE BIDIRECTIONAL
- BIDIRECTIONAL CONFIGURATION YIELDS VERY EFFECTIVE BRAKING
- LOW SPECIFIC SPEED MACHINES - GOOD PERFORMANCE ONLY AT RELATIVELY LOW POWER LEVELS.
- HIGHER EFFICIENCY
- HIGH PERFORMANCE AT HIGH POWER LEVELS. E.G.:
- 130 HP AT 130,000 RPM
- 800 KW AT 50,000 RPM
The Radial Inflow Turbines are generally designed specifically for each application. Standard models exist, on the other hand, for the company's Tangential Turbines. They are categorized by the diameter of the turbine rotor disk. Standard models exist for spin test service and for driving other rigs.
- Maximum Speed
- Rig Drive Model
- Spin Test Models
- Max. Spin Test
- 2100 deriv.
- 1500 deriv.
- 7890 deriv.
- 2775 / 9552
- 5500 deriv.
- 6100 / 7700
- 4146 / 7950
Electric Drive Systems
BSi Electric Motor High Speed Drive systems employ High Speed, High Efficiency Motors with sophisticated Direct Torque Control Drives. When required, speed is increased with the BSi engineered gearing. Spot on speed control is assured by virtue of our TC3 controller working with the motor drive.
BSi electric drive systems meet all CE Standards and Norms. Moreover, they reduce utility demand charges and introduce less harmonic distortion in the power supply than conventional DC drives.
- HIGHEST EFFICIENCY – OVER 90% AT BASE SPEED
- DEVELOP FULL POWER AT 50% RATED SPEED
- PRECISE SPEED CONTROL
- DIRECT TORQUE CONTROL DRIVES
- PROPRIETARY TC3 CONTROLLER WITH PROPRIETARY SPEED CONTROL ALGORITHMS
GEARBOXES DESIGNED AND BUILT BY BSi
- DUAL RATIO – MAXIMUM TORQUE FOR THE LARGE, LOW SPEED TEST ARTICLES
- HELICAL FOR QUIET OPERATION AND LONG GEAR LIFE
- DOUBLE HELICAL – ELIMINATES THRUST LOADS TO EXTEND BEARING LIFE
Past Work Examples
Back to top